CALL TO ARTISTS
Photographers, painters, potters, jewelers, rug makers, sculptors, and everyone in between. We are calling on you to submit your work! Learn more about each opportunity and how to submit below.
FALL JURIED EXHIBIT
Thursday, October 26 – Friday, December 22, 2023
The Juried Exhibits at the J rotate seasonally and show off the wide variety of artistic talent found right here in Whatcom County. Artists of all calibers and mediums are invited to submit up to four pieces for consideration by a rotating jury made up of artists, curators, and other members of the regional arts community.
- Artists may submit up to 4 pieces of their own original artwork.
- Art forms accepted: painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, textiles, ceramics, jewelry, glass, basketry, sculpture, mixed media and book arts.
- The submission fee is $35.00 for up to 4 pieces.
- Jansen Art Center Members at the Artist level or higher receive a $10 discount on the submission fee. Learn more about our membership program.
- Accepted artworks may be offered for sale, but are not required to be. The commission split for exhibits at the J is 60% to the artist and 40% to the Jansen Art Center.
- Submission Deadline: Monday, September 25
- Art Delivery day: Saturday, October 21, 11:00am – 5:00pm
- Exhibit opens: Thursday, October 26
Exhibit closes: Friday, December 22
Art Pick-up: Saturday, January 6, 11:00am – 5:00pm (Date originally December 23rd)
- All wall artwork must have a wire on the back to meet our installation requirements. We will accept unframed paintings on stretched canvas with the edges painted — a wire on the back for hanging is still required.
- Exceptions include textiles with a dowel for hanging, and other types of artwork that are finished for presentation without a frame, but do have a wire on the back.
- If you are uncertain about whether your presentation meets our requirements, please make sure the photo you submit shows the entire piece including the edges.
- Most 3D work is safely displayed on the shelves in the locked glass case in the Piano Lounge and may not exceed 20″H x 20″W x 9”D unless it is a freestanding, larger sculpture.
- The J appreciates all forms of artistic expression, although as a public space that caters to kids of all ages, we are unable to display any artworks depicting frontal nudity.
- Photographs that are signed by the photographer must be an original signature.
If the artwork does not meet our presentation/framing requirements when delivered in person, the exhibits committee may choose to not accept the piece.
Questions about your submission? Email: [email protected]
EXHIBITS AT THE J
Housed in an elegantly refurbished historical building, the Jansen Art Center provides a beautiful setting for exhibits. Featuring original artwork by regional artists of the Pacific Northwest, our galleries are free and open to the public. Proceeds from artwork sales directly support the J and the exhibiting artists.
Juried Exhibits showcase the variety of artistic talent in our region. Each season, artists are invited to submit up to five original pieces for consideration by a jury comprised of artists, curators, and other arts professionals.
Solo or Group Exhibits are displayed in each of the three gallery rooms: Fine Arts Gallery, Chamber Hall, and Library Workshop. These exhibits provide the opportunity for established and emerging artists to feature a collection of work.
The mission of the Jansen Art Center is to create opportunities for the community to engage in the arts, and we recognize that financial barriers are one way that limit access to the arts. If a scholarship would enable you to participate in our programs, please fill out this form! Scholarships are available for people of all ages and can be applied to exhibit submission fees.