EXHIBITS AT THE J
The mission of the Jansen Art Center is to provide a place for artists to create, teach, share, and engage the community in the arts. As part of this mission, regional artists are invited to exhibit and sell their original works of art at the Jansen Art Center. A Fine Arts Gallery and numerous gallery walls throughout the Jansen Art Center provide great spaces to display and view a wide variety of art.
Solo and group exhibitions offer established and emerging artists, or groups of artists the opportunity to showcase a collection of work in one or more of our gallery rooms (Fine Arts Gallery, Chamber Hall or Library Workshop).
The Juried Exhibits are open to the public as a way to showcase the artistic talent in Whatcom County and the surrounding region. Each season, artists are invited to submit up to five pieces to be judged by a qualified jury made up of artists, curators, and other figures in the arts community. The selected pieces are displayed in the Jansen Art Center for the community to enjoy.
The Annual Cup Show is a spring ceramics exhibit that encourages artists to experiment with technique and imagination when considering one particular form – the cup. Entries are juried and prizes are awarded to the top cups in the exhibit.
Falling Out of the Box is an annual Jewelry Challenge and Exhibit. Each year there is a different theme and a different box of materials that all of the participating artists will use to create their finished artwork.
Submit Your Work:
Summer Juried Exhibit
- The deadline for submitting your work is Monday, May 13 at 11:59 PM. SUBMIT YOUR WORK HERE
- Artists will be notified whether their pieces have been accepted or not via email, no later than Tuesday, May 21.
- The drop-off date & time for accepted work is Saturday, June 1 from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM.
- The reception for this exhibit will be Thursday, June 6 from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
- The pick-up date & time will be Saturday, August 31, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM.
- Each artist may submit up to 5 pieces of their own original artwork.
- The submission fee is $30.00 (whether 1 or 5 pieces are submitted).
- Jansen Art Center Members (at the Artist level or higher) receive a $10 discount on the submission fee. Learn more about our membership program.
- The Jansen Art Center accepts visual arts including painting and drawing, photography, textiles, ceramics, jewelry, basketry, sculpture and book arts.
- All wall artwork needs to be framed and have a wire on the back to meet our installation requirements. We will accept unframed paintings on stretched canvas with the edges painted — wire on the back for hanging is still required.
- Most 3D art is displayed in our locked case in the Piano Lounge with shelves 11″ deep. Some exceptions may apply.
- Accepted artwork must be delivered to the Jansen Art Center by or on the designated art drop-off date to be included in the exhibit.
- All artwork shipped to the Jansen Art Center must be packed in a sturdy box that can be used for return shipping with an included prepaid return shipping label, addressed to a U.S. address. All shipped artwork must be insured by the artist.
Questions about your submission? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Solo or Group Exhibits
If you would like to be considered for a solo or group exhibition, please email the following items to our Exhibits Manager:
- a brief description of your idea/concept for the exhibit
- artist bio/resume
- artist statement
- website link or 5-8 jpg images of your artwork