EXHIBITS AT THE J
The mission of the Jansen Art Center is to provide a place for artists to create, teach, share, and engage the community in the arts. As part of this mission, regional artists are invited to exhibit and sell their original works of art at the Jansen Art Center. A Fine Arts Gallery and numerous gallery walls throughout the Jansen Art Center provide great spaces to display and view a wide variety of art.
Solo and group exhibitions offer established and emerging artists, or groups of artists the opportunity to showcase a collection of work in one or more of our gallery rooms (Fine Arts Gallery, Chamber Hall or Library Workshop).
The Juried Exhibits are open to the public as a way to showcase the artistic talent in Whatcom County and the surrounding region. Each season, artists are invited to submit up to five pieces to be judged by a qualified jury made up of artists, curators, and other figures in the arts community. The selected pieces are displayed in the Jansen Art Center for the community to enjoy.
The Annual Cup Show is a spring ceramics exhibit that encourages artists to experiment with technique and imagination when considering one particular form – the cup. Entries are juried and prizes are awarded to the top cups in the exhibit.
Falling Out of the Box is an annual Jewelry Challenge and Exhibit. Each year there is a different theme and a different box of materials that all of the participating artists will use to create their finished artwork. Registration opens July 1.
Submit Your Work:
Fall Juried Exhibit – Submissions Open
- The deadline for submitting your work is Monday, August 13 at 11:59 PM.
- Artists will be notified whether their pieces have been accepted or not via email, no later than Tuesday, August 21.
- The drop-off date & time for accepted work is Saturday, September 1 from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM.
- The reception for this exhibit will be Thursday, September 6 from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
- The pick-up date & time will be Saturday, December 1, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- The artist may submit up to 5 pieces of their own original artwork.
- The $30.00 Fee applies even if less than 5 pieces are submitted to the jury. Submissions without payment will not be considered.
- Jansen Art Center Members (at the Artist level or higher) receive $10 off submission fees. Learn more about our membership program.
- The Jansen Art Center accepts visual arts including ceramics, painting and drawing, textiles, jewelry, basketry, photography, sculpture and book arts. PLEASE NOTE: For the Fall Juried Exhibit we will not have space available to show any 3D items and therefore will not be accepting 3D artwork. Please check again for the Winter Juried Exhibit if you would like to submit 3D items.
- All artwork needs to be framed and have a wire on the back for us to hang it. If it is a stretched canvas and the edges are painted unframed this is fine, but we still need a wire on the back for hanging.
- Accepted artwork must be received by the Jansen Art Center by the stated deadline to be included in the show.
- Artists are responsible for their own postage and shipping to and from the Jansen Art Center.
Questions about your submission? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Solo or Group Exhibits
If you would like to be considered for a solo or group exhibition, please email the following items to our Exhibits Manager, Karen Bacon:
- a brief description of your idea/concept for the exhibit
- artist bio/resume
- artist statement
- website link or 5-8 jpg images of your artwork